Friday, September 26, 2008

A little anecdote...

As you could read in my previous post, I spent some days in Germany last month. Here's a little anecdote that happened to us.
One of the things I try when I visit a foreign country is to address locals in their own language. Germany was not an exception, and I was eager to practice my basic skills in Deutsch (I took German lessons at university, just for 4 months, and since then I’m self-taught). Unfortunately, I guess I still have to polish either my grammar skills or pronunciation (or both) quite a lot. We were having breakfast at the hotel and we wanted to have some warm milk. So, I called the waitress and told her: “Wir möchten heisses Milch trinken, bitte.” Apparently my pronunciation was awful because she brought as warm coffee. As my partner was laughing (at me), I called her again and tried to explain that we didn’t want warm coffee, but warm milk. OK, she seemed to have understood, but she brought us cold milk. I felt a little bit embarrassed about calling the waitress again because the room was crowded and she seemed overworked. Fortunately, the woman who was sitting by us had heard our previous conversations and volunteered to call her again and clarify the misunderstanding. Oh, we finally had warm milk!!! However I’m still doubting whether my sentence was right or not…

1 comment:

Adrian Yap said...

Give yourself a chance as the more embarrassed you are, the more determined you will be to work harder to improve your language!