Saturday, October 25, 2008

Reading memories

OK, I know that the main purpose of this blog was to improve my English and look for someone to point out my mistakes. So, I promised myself that I would write quite often here but I am not fulfilling it. My best excuse is this last month I've been writing a 30 page article about software agents for this journal (in English, of course). I hope that my crappy English and sometimes dubious algebraic proofs make the cut.

Well, after this brief introduction to redeem (?) myself, let me talk about my relationship with books. I love reading all kind of books in any language I can understand. My mum taught me to read when I was 4 and since then I have devoured trillions of books. I've learned so much through them...Seriously, I can't understand people who are fond of never having read a book. But I guess that's their problem...
My first reading memories are related with Teo, a red-haired boy whose mission was to help kids learn about their environment. I had more than 20 books of this collection and everyday my dad would read me one story (I was 2 by then). I think that in the end I knew most of them by heart. Then I grew up a little bit and started to read by myself. The "Barco de Vapor" was without doubt my favourite collection. I think those books were classified in 4 levels (white, blue, orange and red) with regard to their difficulty. When I reached the red level (I suppose I was about 11), my mum decided that it was time for me to read books for teenagers, such as The Baby-sitters Club. Yeah! Books that talked about hanging out with friends and boyfriends? That was a totally new experience for me! Some years later, when I was at university, books about Java, SQL or "HTML for dummies" became my best friends, basically because I was so busy studying the whole day that I didn't read anything else.

And now...well, I read about 1h30 every weekday (basically because I spend that time on a train while going to work). So imagine... that's at least one book every week. Probably my following acquisitions will be the ones in the picture. Have you read any of them?

No comments: